Hillcrest Baptist Church began as a mission project sponsored by the First Baptist Church of Lebanon, Missouri. For several years First Baptist Church realized its responsibility in starting some branch Sunday Schools in needy areas of the community numbering 8,000 in population. And Esther Barker, a teacher at Hillcrest Elementary School, upon seeing the need, knelt in a field and prayed for a church to be planted here. But one day, under the leadership of the Holy Ghost, the encouragement of Pastor Bradley Allison, the Missions Committee went to work. On December 13, 1953, First Baptist voted to establish a Sunday School in a building near Hillcrest School. Hillcrest Baptist Mission started on January 17, 1954 in a vacant house with 26 persons present.
On October 7, 1954, the committee recommended the erection of a building.
The Mission was growing so rapidly that a lot on the corner of Hoover and Polk Streets was purchased at a cost of $2,000 with the hopes that a building could soon be built. On October 1954 the Building Committee for Hillcrest Mission recommended the erection of a one story building.
The building was competed in time for the presentation of the Christmas Program and the following Sunday, December 26, 1954, the Sunday School and Training Union were in their new home. Sunday preaching services began in April 1955 with Charles Pratt as our Mission Pastor.
Rev. W. V. Williams, a pastor with a vision of growth, became our Pastor January 23, 1957. Two additional lots were purchased adjacent to the original property for the new pastorium to be built by King Hodges.
In September we applied and were accepted in the Laclede County Association. February 9, 1961 the church was incorporated.
Construction began August 30, 1964 for a new church auditorium under direction of Pastor Elmo Terry.
Much prayer and hard work has gone into our ministry and we look forward to days ahead of how our Lord is going to bless and how lives will continue to be changed for His glory.